Thursday 29 October 2009

Conservationists of the future

People often talk about how they despair of the younger generations. Apparently all they do is hang out on street corners causing trouble, text each other, play computer games and do very badly at school. I have no statistics for how true this is, but it is worth remembering not to group all youngsters together.

It's true that as I walk from my office to my car, now in the dark, it can be intimidating to walk through large crowds of teenages swearing at the tops of their voices and spitting, but I'm sure these are just the minority. Even so, it's wonderful to see the other side of children and it's something that we should celebrate. This is why I was delighted to watch a new video on YouTube. Not only did it show 2 bright and articulate children speaking out for something they feel passionately about, but it also gave me hope that the fate of the world along with its environment, fauna and flora, is not necessarily one of doom. In a few years it will be these children's turn to make the critical decisions that will effect all of these things. I just hope that the current generation of adults in the position of decision makers, make enough good choices to ensure there is enough of an environment left to fix.

If you haven't already seen this video yet, I would like to introduce you to Ash & Ailish 2 of Cate Bolt's children. Take a couple of minutes to watch the video - it'll restore your faith - and it might even inspire you to do something too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBCPl5iM4jg

No comments:

Post a Comment