Monday 10 August 2009

One Voice

Sitting here at my laptop in the middle of England, with little opportunity to get my voice heard by the global decision makers I feel almost helpless in the fight to save the orangutans. I'm not as brave as Lone, and I can't move out to Borneo to be on the front line.

Their plight and the speed at which it is happening moves me and I have to do something. I can do something. I can write letters.

This might not seem much, but if every consumer wrote a letter, even 1 letter per family, then those decision makers would have to start to listen and take notice of what we say. The first batch of letters are going out to the main supermarket chains, Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda etc. They can all be found under the members' lists on the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), so theoretically they should be making a difference to how palm oil is produced. The actions they are taking, if any, are not clear. Hopefully by writing to the CEOs of these large companies I should get answers to my questions, such as which of their products contain palm oil, how much is from sustainable sources, when will palm oil be specified on ingredients labels?

I will keep you up to date with their responses!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great blog and you are fast becoming an important voice!

    Palm Oil is a huge issue - I'm like you, just a blogger in middle England but there are things we can do, spread the word and bug the companies. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete